NO ADMISSION CHARGE
98 Crafters ~ Live Music ~ Food
Apple Cider Donuts - Made on Premises,
Apple Ice Cream, Vanilla Ice Cream
Medford Historical Society Apple Butter Spread,
Apples, Cider, Drinks, Fresh Baked Goods
Sandwiches - Made on Premises, Hot Dogs,
Funnel Cakes, Fun Events for Everyone
Bounce for Children provided by Columbia Bank
Free Parking and Shuttle Service from F.A.Church
275 Church Rd Medford NJ
9 am - 4 pm (Rain or Shine)
William S. Kirby bought the mill complex in 1877 and again changes were made. In the next few years the roof was lifted adding a fourth floor. Another major change was the removal of the water wheel to be replaced by several more efficient water turbines.
By World War I more modern machinery had replaced the millstones and the mill stopped producing flour in the 1920's and concentrated more on livestock feed. The sawmill finally shut down because of the lack of local timber. The blacksmith and wheelwright shop closed down with the coming' of the automobile. The gristmill stayed in operation under water power until 1961 when, because of low water and mechanical problems, it was converted. to electricity. It was still in partial operation in 1969 when the Medford Historical Society purchased it from the Kirby Brothers. This mill was the last operating commercial mill in New Jersey.
The mill was declared a State Historical Site in July of 1971, and was placed on the National Register of Historic Sites in September of 1972. It is the hope of the Medford Historical Society to restore the complex to working order so that our generation and future generations can wander back into the past and see part of early Americana.
To date, restoration efforts have included the replacement of a working Waterwheel, along with the necessary foundation, shafts and gearing etc. to once again operate a pair of millstones. The Mill Complex has an extensive collection of antiques and an interesting museum that includes a Country Store, a Milliner's Shop, Print Shop and a Carpenter Shop. There is also a working Blacksmith Shop and Sawmill.
In addition to the mentioned buildings the Society restored and maintains the Cross Keys School House. This is the last standing one room school house in Medford.
Contact Us at firstname.lastname@example.org