top of page
Historic Cross Keys School

The Medford Historical Society Presents
The Cross Keys One-Room School House

 

The Cross Keys School was built circa 1857. It was one of several one-room schoolhouses that provided early schooling for the children of Medford. The school stood on a portion of a parcel of land purchased by Sam Thackara and was located at the intersection of Stokes Road and Dixontown Road where McDonald’s is currently situated. Originally commissioned by Sam Thackara and built by his brother-in-law, Lester S. Gager, the building operated as a school until 1927. After the closing in 1927, the property reverted to the Thackara family.

Medford Cross Keys Schoolhouse Open House

July, August & September
2nd Sunday
1-3pm

Private tours are available upon request.

Country Schools:  The Keystone 
of American Education 


The 2024 CSAA Conference on one-room schoolhouses will be heading 
to Toledo, Ohio
University of Toledo




 

bottom of page